Tuesday 21 June 2022

Reusable Grocery Bags: OOP McCall's 4851

 


Out-of-print (OOP) McCall's 4851 has been my go-to tote pattern for reusable grocery bags.  And with yesterday's announcement it just seemed like a good time to break out this pattern and sew a few more in celebration.  

The fabric is a 100% cotton canvas that I found in the discounted home décor department.  I really like the yellow in this print.  It was pretreated with a tumble in the washer and dryer before hitting the iron board for a steam pressing.  

There was just one small change, I straightened the top edge when I cut this one out.  The previous ones dip a bit towards the center.  There is possibly enough fabric to cut three more bags and I will duplicate this small change.  I used handbag straps material (100% cotton).


Project Details

Seams:  2.6 straight stitch 

Seam Finish:  Serged 

Fabric:  2 metres (enough for 4 bags)

Strap:  1 meter -- 1 1/4" cotton 

Pattern:  OOP McCall's 4851

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Cutting table, scissors, pins, pin cushion, ruler, tailor's chalk, sewing machine, regular presser foot, threads, serger, thread clippers, iron, ironing board and tea.  

Stay Safe & Keep Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cotton Summer Dress: Butterick 6784

Ever since I made this version of Butterick 6784 last summer, I was smitten over this kAtheRine Tilton design with its Lagenlook vibe.  I ...