Sunday 12 June 2022

In Sewing News Today...

"We don't understand the true cost of our clothes." 

~Marketplace episode The Hidden Price of Your Clothes


I watched a Marketplace episode hosted by David Common, The Hidden Price of Your Clothes this weekend.  

Unlike most other journalistic pieces on this topic, Common explores the geo-political implications of our ready-to-wear clothing purchases and how forced labour in the garment industry is potentially used to fund North Korea's nuclear missile program.  His exploration of garment industry's labour force abuses is not limited to South East Asia and can be easily found in our own corner of the world.  The episode reveals that the true cost of our clothes is at the very least human and political.  It's a recommended episode if your interested.  

There hasn't been much sewing lately.  I've been thinking about sewing and doing some prep work.  Does that count?  

Some flannel was recently pretreated and steam pressed for another pair of winter pajamas.  It's been sitting on the cutting table for over a week waiting to be cut out.  There's hope that I will get around to sewing a pajama set this week.  Fingers are crossed.  


This flannel is yet to be pretreated.  Also for another set of flannel pajamas for when the cooler temperatures arrive.  And then I think I will be set in the pajama department.  

Well that's all in sewing news today.  

Stay Safe and Keep Sewing

No comments:

Post a Comment

Me Made May 2024

  This year for Me Made May, I pledge to mend, care and wear my me-made items and the items that no longer fit into my life I will refashion...