Saturday, 17 January 2015

A Wearable Muslin

Stash-busting 2015:  A-line Skirt

Fabrics:                      1.6 metres printed cotton @ $11.53 ($6.78/metre) + 0.2 metre of fusible interfacing @ $0.95 ($6.78/metre) = $12.48

Basting Tape:          0.35 metres @ $0.98/metre = $0.34

Zipper:                       7 inch invisible zipper @ $0.50

Pattern:                      New Look 6108 = $6.72


Sewn on:                  Janome 4120 QDC using straight stitch for seams and top-stitching, blind hem foot used for the hem and stitched-in-the-ditch using a walking foot for the waistband.   

Hand-stitching:    Basting the hemline before taking it to the sewing machine to finish. And slip-stitching a small section of the waistband facing where it meets up with the zipper.   

Seam finish:            Serged on Janome MyLock 234D



This fabric is a 100% cotton print which I found on sale at the home decor department at Fabricland about a year or so ago. I can't exactly remember when I picked it up. The price was right for the weight of the cotton. The initial plan was to make a jacket from this fabric.  


The red invisible zipper was part of a notions grab bag that I found at the Salvation Army. I like shopping for vintage notions there because sometimes, like this time, I find cotton invisible zippers. Although the main colour of my fabric is a burnt orange there is some red accents in the fabric and the zipper tab colour doesn't stand out.  

The total cost of this project came to $19.04 which is a real bargain in my eyes because I have a garment that 

✓  is in a natural fabric
✓  fits!
✓  has orange, the happiest colour in the world, in it and
✓  has pockets



Gotta a love it when a pattern works out straight out of the envelope. It is a keeper for sure. I would certainly recommend this pattern if you like the A-line skirt style. I think it is a fun and easy pattern for beginners as well.  

I should note that I didn't follow the pattern instructions while sewing this pattern. The pattern calls for a lap zipper. I inserted an invisible zipper instead and therefore changed the order of construction.  First I sewed the back darts, attached the back waistband pieces and then sewed the invisible zipper. Then I moved onto the front pockets, waistband and then attached the front to back at the side seams. And it all worked out fine. It is a pretty straight-forward pattern. 

Happy Sewing!  




4 comments:

  1. Lovely skirt! My favourite Aline skirt pattern is a Newlook pattern. Can't remember the pattern number.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colour and print of the skirt and pockets!!!! I love anything with pockets.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you , it is really comfortable. I'm thinking about making another one.

    ReplyDelete

Silk Eva Dress

I will admit, I'm dying to sew something new . But I couldn't deny that the Eva dress is one fabulous pattern. And time was ticking...