Wednesday, 3 December 2014

Monochromatic Winter White

Stash-busting 2014:  Holiday Dress

Fabric:        3.4 metres

Bias Tape:  5.2 metres of 5/8" wide satin bias tape

Pattern:      McCall's 7028

 
This pattern, McCall's 7028, didn't strike me as something that I would want when it first came out. It was a review that I stumbled on that made me think twice about it.

My favourite part of this pattern is the flared side pieces and side pockets. I do have some dislikes though. I'm so over the high-low front-to-back hemline. I did not like that the centre front sits six inches higher than the centre back. If I noticed this on the pattern pieces before I cut out my fabric I would have made a design change. And the neckline I thought I would like more than I do now that it is done.

To avoid losing more length in the front by hemming up the dress, I used 5/8" wide satin bias tape which I also added to the hem on the sleeves.

I also finished the neckline facing in a different manner than suggested in the pattern instructions. I interfaced the facing, serged the edge and hand-stitched it into place.

The fabric is a medium weight cream coloured polyester knit that may have been in my stash for about a year. To be completely honest, I'm guessing here. I do know that I found this fabric at Fabricland.

I do like my dress and I like the way it looks with my cream coloured jacket. With the way the hem is finished, I do feel like it is an un-intentional holiday dress.

Happy Sewing!




3 comments:

  1. a bit late - I wrote a post re your 2012 vintage dress, old sewing and patterns etc. had you mixed up; didn't realize you're one of the PR CDN gals. chilly out here interior BC; foot of snow, -15C. will read up on your blog... catch up etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty. The bias tape dresses it up just a bit. I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that hem technique- its a gorgeous detail.

    ReplyDelete

The Eva Dress by Tessuti

This is my first project using Tessuti patterns and I'm even more impressed with how it turned out than I was when the patterns arrived...