Friday 10 February 2023

Stash busting: Sew House Seven Pullover Sweater, Take 2 / OOP Simplicity 8529

Out-of-print (OOP) Simplicity 8529 hit the cutting table this week.  After sewing a toile for version D and tweaking the pattern piece to get that oversized sweatshirt look I was ready to cut into my "good fabric."  This is a wool that has a bit of stretch.  Actually, it has more stretch than a sweatshirt fleece.  


To be completely honest, this turned out better than if I made it in a sweatshirt fleece which at today's prices and my preference for natural fibre fabrics, is not in the budget.  But I digress.  It turned out perfect, better than I hoped for when I started this project.  The fabric for the main pattern pieces are the same type of fabric that I used for this cardigan coat and this one and also this cardigan, except this wool fabric is in black.  I think I'm down to just scraps left of this fabric but maybe I might be able to squeeze one more project with the embroidery section that I didn't use here.  We'll see.  The cuffs, neck band and hem band were cut from a black cotton knit left over from this project.  

The sides are cut at a size large for the oversized vibe I was looking for and the neckline, shoulder and armhole were cut at a size medium.  I did add an inch length to the hem seamline and shortened the sleeve length a half inch.  


Project Details

Seams:  Machine knit stitch

Seam finish:  Serged

Fabric:  1.4 metres

Pattern:  OOP Simplicity 8529

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Clipboard paper, pencil, paper scissors, cutting table, clapper and assorted objects used as pattern weights, fabric scissors, pins, wrist pin cushion, tailor's chalk, Janome sewing machine, walking foot, cotton thread, Janome serger, polyester serger threads, iron, ironing board and oh-so-sweet free time.  

Happy Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cotton Summer Dress: Butterick 6784

Ever since I made this version of Butterick 6784 last summer, I was smitten over this kAtheRine Tilton design with its Lagenlook vibe.  I ...