Tuesday 28 February 2023

February in Review

Sewing, Alterations, and Mending Projects


This month it was all about survival sewing.  It was cold, brutally cold, at some points.  There were no thoughts of floral spring dresses or spring sewing what-so-ever.  February was all about thoughts of sweatshirts, sweaters, tea and avoiding the brutally cold elements.  Trying to stay warm was reflected in my sewing and planning when I came up with two boiled wool sweatshirts.  And then throw into the mix feeling under the weather.  It didn't add to much motivation to get a lot of sewing done.  


There was decluttering attempted which lead to some mending and alterations.  Saved from the donation pile this month was a previously made wrap dress, changed into a cardigan and later gifted.  And a ready-to-wear (RTW) cotton knit dress that was too snug to wear out in the public sphere until extra ease was added at the side seams with godets cut out with some left-over denim.  


Stash Busting

Only 2.8 metres of fabric were stash busted this month.  

I did reorganize the fabric stash binder and spent some time considering another pair of patchwork pajama bottoms, this time made with scraps of flannel.  This month there was more time playing around with ideas procrastination than actually sewing.  


February was I Love to Read & Black History Month 

Would you believe that I managed to whip through a book this month?  I couldn't put it down although the first part of the novel was intense.  


Before I came across this book at the bookstore, I never heard the name Ann Lowe, little alone possessed any knowledge that she was the designer behind Jacqueline Kennedy's wedding dress.  By Her Own Design is historical fiction novel based on a true story and I highly recommend it.  Piper Huguley examines the life of an American fashion designer who's work was admired by many including fashion icons Christian Dior and Edith Head.  The book lead me to some internet research into what parts are fictional and which parts hold a bit of truth and it was a fascinating detour while reading this novel.  Highly recommend reading the author's notes at the end of the book which answered a lot of questions I had along the way.   I was grateful to discover the insight into Huguley's research and fictionalized aspects of the novel.  It's a beautiful novel.  You'll need a tissue by the time you reach the end.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Cotton Summer Dress: Butterick 6784

Ever since I made this version of Butterick 6784 last summer, I was smitten over this kAtheRine Tilton design with its Lagenlook vibe.  I ...