Wednesday 22 February 2023

Pulled From the Donation Pile: A Cardigan Created From an Unworn Wrap Dress

Over a year ago, I made a wrap dress with out-of-print (OOP) Vogue 8827.  And I never wore it other than trying it on and taking some pictures for the blog.  


It was a classic case of picking the wrong fabric for a project.  

As I was sewing the new hem, my fingers were gliding over the fabric surface, I couldn't help thinking that this fabric was better suited for a skirt.  It is actually what I picked up the 2.4 metres of this fabric for, a skirt.  At the time, I was thinking about sewing another OOP Vogue 9060.  Today, I'm thinking it would make a nice skirt out of OOP Butterick 5790.  It's too late to be thinking about skirts, I'm already transforming it into a cardigan to be gifted.  


The one request that came with shortening it into a cardigan was that pockets could be added.  Easy enough.  To avoid the bulk of the edges of the pocket, I sewed a rolled hem on the serger and then top-stitched the pockets in place.  The top of the pockets were interfaced with Knit 'N Stable tape and top-stitched with a one inch hem.  


I am really grateful that it has been saved from the donation pile and it became a well-received gift.  As a cardigan this bonded knit will be a warm addition to a winter wardrobe.  

Did you know that 84% of donated clothing ends up in landfills?





2 comments:

  1. Great transformation! It has finally found it's proper home! FWIW, Wrap dresses don't work for me at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bunny! I had a lot of fails in the wrap dress department before I was lucky enough to find a DVF wrap dress pattern, Vogue 1610, I believe. Once I shortened the bodice, it was the wrap dress pattern I was looking for all these years.

    ReplyDelete

Cotton Summer Dress: Butterick 6784

Ever since I made this version of Butterick 6784 last summer, I was smitten over this kAtheRine Tilton design with its Lagenlook vibe.  I ...