Saturday 10 September 2022

Stash Busting: Unlined Tweed Coat / Butterick 6244

I always meant to revisit this pattern after the first one I made.  I actually did make one that was gifted to someone else.  I wanted to sew one for moi with a little more ease in the backside.  Here is version number three.  


I added 1 3/4" inches fanned out from the centre back hemline area and about another 1/2" fanned out from the side hemline.  With this, I was able to achieve the desired amount of ease.  

This version does not have pockets.  The fabric is a light-weight tweed from Northwest / Marshall Fabrics back-in-the-day when you could pick up tweed for $3.99 / metre.  That was about a decade ago.  


Yup, there is more fabric left over.  At that deal I picked up the remaining bolt. 


I do like the pink specs in the tweed fabric and chose to highlight it by sewing a rolled hem in pink thread.  This will be perfect with the pink turtleneck sweater dress I made last year.  So what will I do with the remaining 5.3 metres of tweed?  Stay tuned.  

 
Project Details

Seams:  2.6 straight stitch

Seam finish:  Serged interior seam finish, edges are finished with a rolled hem

Fabric:  2.4 metres



Pattern
Butterick 6244

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Cutting table, scissors, pins, pin cushion, clapper, tailor's chalk, Janome sewing machine, Janome serger, threads, measuring tape, ruler, iron, ironing board and precious, glorious free time.  

Happy National Sewing Month!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Upcycled Project: Dress to Sweatshirt / OOP Simplicity 8529

  Changing over the closet as spring and summer approach is also a time to reassess what items should be packed away for the next seasonal c...