Thursday 29 September 2022

Mending Matters

The patchworked blanket from years ago came out of the wash in less than perfect shape.  


I'm not a quilter and I really didn't follow any quilting rules making this blanket.  I just made this to use up scraps.  But it's come to be nostalgic piece that I cherish.  The memories that are sewn together are priceless to me.  So, when I found these fraying pieces of cloth that date back to the 1960's, I had to try and rescue these portions of the blanket.  


Remember, I'm not a quilter.  I just grabbed whatever piece was big enough to patch up the fraying piece.  I pressed a seam allowance and topstitched it in place.  


For two smaller pieces that were coming undone, I used some cotton trim to do some patchwork.  I know it's not perfect but what matters is that I'm happy to have this blanket back.  

Happy Sewing!

2 comments:

  1. If you made this quilt, you are now a quilter. There is no more accepted “perfect” since we fired all the quilt police somewhere around Y2K! I loveeeeeee all the nostalgia fabrics on this, the frayed pieces called out to me, Mom’s church dress! I’m glad you mended it, and posted about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barbara! So happy to hear that the quilt police were all fired, lol. I remember years back when I took a class after buying a new sewing machine that I was skill shamed because of my lack of quilting knowledge. I believe that it was about finger pressing seam allowances. I never went back to take a class there even after I got a new serger.

      Delete

Wool Winter Coat: OOP Vogue 8934

I know it's officially spring and we didn't even feel like we experienced a winter here this year.  And yet I've been busy sewin...