Friday 1 April 2022

Something Cozy: Butterick 6495

Another cardigan / jacket made with Butterick 6495 is hot off the sewing machine.  This one, like the last version, is to be gifted.  


You see this time I had the person try on mine (a size medium) and it looked tight around the sleeves.  But they insisted that it was fine even when I asked them to move their arms.  Hmmm, I wasn't convinced so I made an executive decision and went up a size.  Just to be on the safe side and considering that the fabric is a French cotton terry and may or may not end up in the dryer.  

The other small change was for patch pockets.  I would have preferred to sew inseam side pockets but it was front patch pockets large enough to hold a Samsung cell phone that was requested.  I didn't pull an executive decision here.  Instead, I made a pocket pattern piece, pinned it to my jacket and we settled on the placement.  

This pattern, Butterick 6495, is a classic and has been a go-to over the years.  I would highly recommend it for a beginner project.  It is a well-drafted pattern.   

The fabric, this beautiful French cotton terry, I picked it up many moons ago thinking about making a dress for moi.  Instead, I made a pair of men's sweat pants and then there wasn't enough for a dress.  I was looking to use the rest of the fabric and I'm glad I found someone who was willing to accept this gift.  There might be a little bit of fabric left over for a top or part of a top, we'll see.  The fabric came from Northwest / Marshall Fabrics.  It was pretreated with a tumble in the wash and dryer.  It rolls like crazy.  Someone suggested spraying the seam edges with starch to tame curled edges.  And even though it does work, I didn't feel like spending the time de-curling it.  A little patience pinning and everything worked out fine.  


Project Details

Seams:  Lightning bolt (knit) stitch

Seam finish:  Serged

Fabric:  2.3 metres

Knit 'N Stable tape:  1.5 metres

PatternButterick 6495

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Cutting table, scissors, scissor sharpener, pins, measuring tape, measuring gauge, sewing machine, walking foot, Jean-a-ma-Jig, serger, threads, iron, ironing board, thread clippers, thumb brace and Decaf coffee breaks.  

Stay Safe and Keep Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Me Made May 2024

  This year for Me Made May, I pledge to mend, care and wear my me-made items and the items that no longer fit into my life I will refashion...