Sunday 24 April 2022

When Fabric and Pattern are a Perfect Match: OOP Butterick 5891

Back-in-the-day, many, many moons ago, I found these beautiful printed cottons in the discounted section of the fabric store.  I picked up three different print patterns and with them, over the years, I made three versions of out-of-print (OOP) Butterick 5891.  The Katherine Tilton pattern and the cotton fabric happen to be, in my humble opinion, a perfect match.  The first version was made in 2013.  The second version replaced the first in 2020, after a hair dye accident.  This is the latest 2022 version.  

Over the years, this top pattern, made in the other versions, has been a favourite piece of clothing.  Although, it's not suitable for a brutal prairie winter, there is hope that spring may soon arrive.  And with that the possibility to wear this without a shiver.  It was a tough winter, but I digress.

I was thrilled when I discovered that there was enough of this fabric to make one more version.  And even though I wasn't looking to sew another version at this time, I also didn't want to pack this piece of fabric back in the stash.  It's been aging in there long enough.  And it was pretreated in the past, all I had to do was cut and sew. 

The only changes to the pattern was to first raise the pockets a wee bit, something that I've done with the other versions.  The hem on the sleeve is a two inch hem instead of the recommended one inch hem.  And I left off the interior button as I usually wear a brooch in its place.  

This pattern is a keeper.  I don't think I will make another version any time soon but I do know I will hold on to this one for awhile longer.  It's well drafted and I really enjoy the shape of the collar.  I love that it has side pockets.  The buttons were also hiding out for a long time in my button collection.  I had everything I needed in the stash to start and finish this project.  

It was the perfect rainy weekend project.  A bit of nostalgic sewing I guess.  


Project Details

Seams:  2.6 straight stitch

Seam finish:  Serged

Fabric:  3 metres (112 cm width)

Interfacing:  0.8 metres

Buttons:  Recycled

Pattern:  OOP Butterick 5891

Additional Supplies & Tools:  Cutting table, pins, pin cushions, scissors, tailor's chalk, clapper (used as a weight), iron, ironing board, thread clippers, sewing machine, regular presser foot, buttonhole foot, measuring tape, measuring gauge, serger, threads, buttonhole cutter, cutting board, hammer, hand sewing needle and tea.  

Stay Safe and Keep Sewing!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Me Made May 2024

  This year for Me Made May, I pledge to mend, care and wear my me-made items and the items that no longer fit into my life I will refashion...