Tuesday 5 April 2022

In Sewing News Today...

Have you ever heard of qiviut?  

It's a wool that is described as softer than cashmere and warmer than down.  Eight times warmer than sheep's wool.  

I learned something new today.  

Yesterday, I never heard of qiviut.  

The source of this impressive fibre is the muskox.  

Photo source:  Guide to Greenland

Most of Canada's muskox population live in the Canadian Artic of the Northwest Territories and Nunavut and are under government protection since the early 1900s.  

Not that I expect to have the opportunity to work with qiviut, I do, however, think this was an interesting story.  

In actual sewing news...  

I've been busy cutting and sewing more reusable grocery bags.  

Another four are at the sewing table.  

Not the most exciting sewing project.  

Lately, practical sewing takes priority.  

And I received a request for another pair of men's pull-on pants.  

That will be next on my sewing list.  

And then maybe I'll get to a new pattern that I'm dying to try.  

It's the Merchant and Mills' Florence pattern.  

Photo source:  Merchant and Mills

It looks comfy and I do like the look of the top option as well.  

Photo source:  Merchant & Mills

I'll trace and test the pattern but I'm thinking about sewing the top in some silk noir that I've been holding onto for quite some time.  And maybe a linen for the dress.  

A muslin will be in order first as this is the first time I'm sewing a Merchant & Mills pattern and the sizing seems different from the patterns I'm used to sewing.  

Has anyone sewn this or any other M&M patterns?  

Well, that's all in sewing news today.  

Stay Safe and Keep Sewing!

1 comment:

  1. The M&M Trapeze dress is my go to loose swingy dress pattern. The fit is great for me (narrow slightly sloping shoulders, proportionately slender upper arms, full bust, thick waist). I like the Dress Shirt pattern too - M&M's upper body fit is perfect for me.

    ReplyDelete

Me Made May 2024

  This year for Me Made May, I pledge to mend, care and wear my me-made items and the items that no longer fit into my life I will refashion...