Monday 31 January 2022

January in Review

Sewing Projects




Most of January's sewing projects have been gifted.  It felt good.  The face masks were made with the Aplat face mask pattern and a Japanese cotton.  The waterfall coat was made with Butterick 6422 and an embroidered bordered wool blend.  The men's shirt is a revisit with McCall's 2447 in a cotton stretch.  And the remote control caddy was created without a pattern and a 100% polyester home décor fabric that has been in the stash for way too long.  And the grocery bags are a scrap busting project.  

Stash Busting

My goal this year is to create with the materials and supplies found in my stash.  All the fabrics, notions and supplies to complete this month's makes were found in the stash.  And all the patterns used were tried and tested (TNT) patterns.  That also felt good.  

De-stashed this month:  8.3 metres of fabric, 13 buttons, 1 metre of elastic and 1 metre of seam binding (used for an alteration project not shown above) and 2 metres of grosgrain ribbon.  No sewing supplies or fabric were added to the stash.  

Upcoming Projects

I don't buy clothes anymore, for many reasons that I've listed in the past that still stand today.  I'm continuing on this journey.  I've been able to make just about everything that I need to wear.  There are exceptions such as ski-pants that were too expensive of a project so I abandoned that idea.  And socks, I'm not a knitter.  That is until I discovered that I can sew socks.  


I ordered a PDF pattern last year and I'm going to give it a try and add to my list of RTW Fast items that I won't be buying.  I'm currently in the process of reading the instructions and taping the PDF pattern pieces that I will need.  You would think it would be a quick process for socks but the file was actually thirty some pages.  Yup, not a typo.  After all the pattern prep work, hopefully, I'll have some new socks to replace the ones that are beyond repair.  


Now that spring is around the corner [laughing at that as I type those words], according to the Big Four pattern releases.  My thoughts are turning to another go at a jean jacket.  A denim jacket has always been my go-to jacket in the non-deep freeze months.  I know, I'm going to miss having one for layering when the snow starts to melt.  I would really like to maybe fix the jacket I started last year or see if there is enough left over black denim in the stash for a do-over.  

Stay Safe & Keep Sewing!  

1 comment:

  1. I am really interested in your sock journey. Yeah, PDFs take a lot of ink and paper but 30 pages isn't bad. I've used them for bag patterns which aren't too bad either. Garments, like dresses, tend to be real ink suckers. I've seen these sock patterns and like you, I am not a knitter. Let me know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete

Me Made May 2024

  This year for Me Made May, I pledge to mend, care and wear my me-made items and the items that no longer fit into my life I will refashion...