Sunday 30 January 2022

Remembering Someone Who Played an Important Part of My Sewing Journey: Mr. Herb Wildeman

Many, many moons ago, I walked into a little downtown fabric store called The Sewing Gallery.  It was like no other sewing business that I have ever encountered.  It truly was a gem all because of the owners who ran the business.  They were so kind and cared about people.  Not because you were a potential customer, because you were a person worthy of kindness.  Period.  

This weekend, through the business that evolved from The Sewing Gallery, the new owners announced the sad news that Mr. Herb Wildeman is no longer with us.  God called him to become an angel.  He was one here in life.  

I bought my first Janome sewing machine from The Sewing Gallery when Mr. Herb Wildeman and his wife were the owners of the shop.  


It was the Janome Memory Craft 4000.  It was a computerized sewing machine with a needle threader, embroidery features, automatic buttonholer and so many decorative stitches.  And it was out of my price range, priced over a grand, back-in-the-day.  

It was through the enormous generosity and kindness of Mr. Herb Wildeman that I came to own the Janome Memory Craft 4000.  I didn't have the money at the time and like most of my jobs during my life, I wasn't working a well-paying job.  Mr. Herb Wildeman not only allowed me to only put this machine on layaway, he let me take it home that day.  I put a deposit on it and wrote post-dated cheques to pay off the remainder of the machine over several months.  

His kindness did not stop there.  Upon learning that I would be walking home, through the downtown, with this new machine, he offered to drive me and machine home.  No extra charge for the delivery.  There are not too many people who would go out of their way like that, not even thirty years ago.  But there was one and I was blessed to have met this angel.  I remained a loyal customer.  

I don't have the sewing machine anymore.  I donated it to a friend's daughter when I lost my sewing mojo and couldn't imagine that I could ever sew again.  I didn't have the heart to sell it even though I could have used the money.  It didn't seem right not to continue the kindness woven into the years of joy that machine gave me.  

I hope the joy and kindness associated with that machine live on as a tribute to Mr. Herb Wildeman through the new owner's sewing creations.  I send out condolences to all those missing this angel right now and hope they know what an incredible impact he made in a simple person's life.  Thank you for the kindness.  Rest in peace.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Me Made May 2024

  This year for Me Made May, I pledge to mend, care and wear my me-made items and the items that no longer fit into my life I will refashion...