Tuesday 4 January 2022

Celebrating Strength, Resilience and Womanhood: Ribbon Skirt Day

January 4, 2022 marks the first Ribbon Skirt Day here in Canada.  And it is all because of the strength and courage of this young lady, Isabella Kulak that evolved out of an incident illustrating that as a country we have a long road to travel to get to reconciliation.  Isabella and her family are a light and guide for those who are willing to learn.   There is currently a bill receiving a second reading to commemorate National Ribbon Skirt Day annually.  

Source:  CBC News

I love that for the school acknowledgement of this day, Isabella wore a ribbon skirt that she created herself.  The school she attends teaches ribbon skirt making and her mother is one of the teachers sharing this knowledge.  

What a beautiful story of an inspiring young seamstress to begin the New Year.  Do you want to learn how to sew a ribbon skirt and the meaning behind it?  Check out this link.  

Stay Safe and Keep Sewing!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Me Made May 2024

  This year for Me Made May, I pledge to mend, care and wear my me-made items and the items that no longer fit into my life I will refashion...