Tuesday 17 March 2020

It's a Menswear Classic: McCall's 2447


This is another version of the McCall's 2447 shirt pattern. Nothing really new to report, this is more of a show-and-tell project. Other than the obvious fail on the stripe matching with the shirt pocket. I'm not perfect. As far as alterations and changes go, this one is cut exactly like the last version. It was lengthened two inches, a 1/4" addition to the side seams and the yoke was sewn using the couture method described in my Reader's Digest sewing reference book.


The fabric has been in the collection, possibly for a decade. I had to cut the width of the sleeve a little shorter than my pattern piece and alteration dictated because of the narrow width of this fabric. Gratefully, it worked out fine and I was able to flat fit the sleeve without any issues. The fabric is a light-weight cotton striped shirting and  will be perfect for the upcoming spring/summer season.

It was pretreated with a tumble in the washing machine and dryer followed by a steam pressing before hitting the cutting table. I'm pretty confident this will eliminate any future shrinkage.


The buttons for this project were actually purchased for another project, Vogue 9370. They were a perfect match for this fabric so since I abandoned the Vogue 9370 project, it was nice to find an alternate project for these buttons.


The Stats

Fabric:  3 metres (124 cm)

Interfacing:  0.8 metres

Buttons:  15 mm (9/16")

Pattern:  McCall's 2447 (circa 1999)

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Cutting table, scissors, tailor's chalk, pins, pin cushions, rulers, measuring tape, measuring gauge, thread clippers, sewing machine, walking foot, buttonhole foot, serger, threads, tailor's wax, hand sewing needle, seam ripper thimble, tweezers, iron, ironing board, collar pointer, clapper, cutting board, buttonhole cutter, screwdriver and some tea breaks.  

Happy Sewing!

4 comments:

  1. I like the pocket placement. If I had made the shirt, I'd say I was going for a subtle avant garde look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a perfectly positive point of view, I might have to borrow that!

      Delete
  2. Well I think the workmanship is impeccable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really lovely work Graca! I love that dominant stripe too.

    ReplyDelete

Stash busting: Pullover Skirt / OOP Butterick 5790

Do I need another pull-on maxi skirt?  Not really, this project is all about stash busting this small piece of cotton knit fabric with a tri...