Sunday, 5 January 2014

Merrily Mending Away: Shirt Buttons

I made a shirt, Vogue 2789, many moons ago that has seen the mending pile more times that I care to remember. It is one of my favourite makes, and I put a lot of work into it. The original (seen below) has pin-tucks sewn around the the shirt waist area.


Like I said, it was many moons ago when I was a wee skinny thing. At first, I thought I could remove all those pin-tucks but that was not enough ease. I had no choice but to add an extension to both side seams if I dreamed of saving this shirt. It worked and a favourite make became wearable once again.


This shirt ended up on the mending pile once again when one of the self-made buttons fell apart. This was the second button that went missing, the very last bottom one went missing ages ago but I pretended that it was never there since the buttonhole was not all that noticeable.


I found some vintage inspired in my button stash and away I went to work, replacing all the buttons.

After merrily mending away, I now have seven new buttons that I think makes this shirt look much better with the black inserts on the side seams.


And yesterday, over at Etsy, I found this Vogue 2789 pattern. In my size! Uncut and factory folded and I couldn't be more thrilled. I can't wait until it gets here, I can see version C on my cutting table sometime soon.


Happy Sewing Mending!

1 comment:

  1. Godet inserts are very handy in this situation - a solution I have also used :)

    ReplyDelete

What The Fudge, Nike and Converse

I'm not going to repost the disgusting and sickening ad that has Converse shoes in the news.  If you want to read about it, here is a li...