Sunday 2 February 2014

Waiting for Spring to Finally Get Here...

Stash busting 2014:  Vogue 1306

Fabric:     1.8 metre cotton knit

Thread:    I stash busted some yellow thread for both the overlock and sewing machine.

*****

Well, it is Groundhog Day and everyone is wondering when the little critter will announce spring's arrival. It would be nice if it were just around the corner because I can't wait to wear this top.

Vogue 1306 will go down as one of my favourite patterns. I can't believe that it has been in my stash for so long without being made.

Actually, I can't believe how long I had this fabric cut out and this project has been sitting in the drawer waiting to be sewn. I managed to have enough left over fabric to make a baby onsie out of this which has been gifted months ago. What can I say, I'm quite talented when it comes to procraftination.

I actually delayed sewing this top because I feared that it might not turn out. The gathering detail on the side front and the placket were the steps that had me doubting my sewing skills. I had nothing to fear, this is a well-drafted pattern with great instructions.

My best tools for sewing this garment were the knit stitch on my sewing machine and a walking foot. I found that the walking foot provided the confidence as I stitched the gathering to the bodice. I love how this detail turned out.

The hemline on the shirt is lower in the back. This is where I shortened it about an inch after I tried it on. If I make another top with this pattern I think I might change the hemline to be straight across.

The only dislike that I have is the dropped armhole. It is a minor issue. It doesn't look horrible but I think I would adjust the shoulder seam so that it doesn't drop as much. It is just a personal preference.

Happy Sewing!





5 comments:

  1. Dang it! I just thinned this pattern from the herd and you've made me want it again!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to go see if I have this one! It is gorgeous.

    I have a couple of projects that have been cut and sitting. I'm not even sure if I'm going to attempt them. I might just let them go. I'm impressed that you went back and finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I even surprised myself last month with visiting UFOs and mending.

      Delete
  3. It turned out beautifully! LOVE the polka dots :) well done on making such a fabulous top!

    ReplyDelete

Stash busting: Wool cardigan / OOP Kwik Sew 4192

Back in September, I made a simple pull-on  wool knit skirt with the intention of sewing a matching pullover top  to go with it.  The pullo...