Tuesday 1 October 2019

To Bed with Roses: Simplicity 6851

This project is to be gifted but there was a moment or two that I considered running off with it for myself. I might have to revisit this pattern and make another one someday.  


It is made with vintage Simplicity 6851, circa 1960s. The more this project came together the more smitten I became with the design. It looks like a simple robe but it really is engineered well. The elbow length bell shaped raglan sleeves has a generously sized sleeve facing. I really appreciate the shape created by the bust dart starting from the raglan sleeve seam downwards instead of the traditional bust dart from the side seam. And those pockets are a lovely size for a robe.


I was asked to shorten it and then upon the first fitting I was asked to make it longer. Thank goodness there was enough fabric left!  That is why there is a seam show in the lower portion of the robe. The centre front high round neckline was lowered 5/8" and tapered to nothing on the side.  This didn't affect the facing piece and still left a lovely shape.


The green buttons were discovered in the stash, left over from another project. The floral print fabric is a 100% cotton discovered in the quilting section of the fabric store. It was pre-treated with a tumble in the washing machine followed by the same in the dryer and a good pressing before being cut out.  

The Stats

Fabric:  4 metres

Interfacing:  1 metre fusible

Buttons:  6 - 5/8" buttons

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Cutting table, iron, ironing board, pins, pin cushion, tailor's chalk, measuring tape, ruler, measuring gauge, sewing machine, walking foot, buttonhole foot, screwdriver, buttonhole cutter, threads, serger, hand sewing needle, scissors, thread clippers and tea.  

Happy Sewing!


4 comments:

  1. My mom would have loved it. Yellow Rose's were her favorite rose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't often pick up quilting cotton with garment sewing in mind but I couldn't resist the print.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks. I was so proud of this one thinking that things are finally working out sewing wise when a few people on the Simplicity and McCall's page pointed out that I sewed the buttonholes on the wrong side. OOOPS! So close.

      Delete

Cotton Summer Dress: Butterick 6784

Ever since I made this version of Butterick 6784 last summer, I was smitten over this kAtheRine Tilton design with its Lagenlook vibe.  I ...