Wednesday 5 June 2019

Very Easy, My Oh My Oh My!

Vogue patterns defines "Very Easy / Très Facile" as,
The easiest and quickest patterns to sew.  Great for beginners or the experienced sewer with limited time available.  Expect limited construction details, hand sewing and fitting.  Easy to sew fabrics are recommended.  
Hold the presses presser foot!  I'm working on Vogue 9367, a pattern that Vogue has rated "very easy" and I'm going to have to disagree with this on several points.  Yes, it has limited fitting issues to worry about since it's a very loose-fitting jacket / coat pattern.  However, it's not limited on construction details.  Let me count the ways.  
  1. There are eleven buttons
  2. And eleven buttonholes to sew
  3. There is a back vent.  
  4. Neckline darts
  5. A three piece collar construction
  6. Set-in sleeves with an interfaced front and back facing that encompasses the armhole. 
  7. Side seam pockets 
That's quite a few construction details for a beginner to handle and all of these details take time even for a more experienced sewer. And I'm saying this because this project has proven itself to be more challenging that I thought. It is certainly taking me longer than I thought it would to move this project off the sewing machine in a completed state.  

Oh and there is something mentioned about "easy to sew fabrics" like raincoat fabrics 😏.  I don't know, maybe I'm making this project more difficult than it needs to be with my choice of non-fusible interfacing, using seam binding to finish off the edges of the vent and only interfacing the undercollar after thinking about it for way too long.  

I'm going to need a quick and easy project after this one, like a dartless, collarless and buttonless t-shirt.  😏

Happy Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stash busting: Pullover Skirt / OOP Butterick 5790

Do I need another pull-on maxi skirt?  Not really, this project is all about stash busting this small piece of cotton knit fabric with a tri...