Monday 9 May 2016

One More Wrap Dress

Stash-busting 2016:  OOP Vogue 7014


{Source}
The wrap dress is one of my favourite dress styles of all time. The fact that it is so easy to wear and it feels as comfortable as wearing a robe--what's not to love? 

I know I have a couple of wrap dresses sitting in my closet right now but it is so darn comfortable and it is a style that I can get away with at work. When I wear one, I not only feel comfortable I feel pulled together as well. No pun intended. And I love the fact that Vogue 7014 comes with pockets. 


On this version, I decided to omit the front dart since my fabric has the same amount of stretch as the previous version and I kept the length. I also added a bit of ease to the width of the waistline and I do like the fit of this one the best. The shoulder seam was finished with fusible interfacing strip instead of bias tape. I also used the fusible interfacing roll on the bottom edge of the dress. After I fused the interfacing, I serged the bottom edge, turned it up 5/8" pressed and then stitched. There was no puckering and if I do say so myself, it is the most perfect hem of all the knit wrap dresses I've made. I'm going to have to file this trick under don't forget to interface the hemline.


It did take some time to come together though. The world's greatest physiotherapist recommended that I take a break from the sewing room and then mini-breaks every thirty minutes when I return. It was the best sewing advice that I've been given in a long time as it was during one of the breaks that I thought of the hem finish.


The fabric has been in my stash for a couple of years. It was a Fabricland find and I'm glad that I waited for the perfect pattern to come along. I'm thrilled with how it turned out. I love the print and the bright graphic colours. Even though it is no longer found at Fabricland, I did spot this fabric at Northwest Fabrics as well.

The fabric was pretreated with a tumble through the washing machine and dryer on regular settings. It handled the pre-treatment with no issues. Sewing-wise, the seams were stitched with the knit stitch on my sewing machine which looks like a lightning bolt. There was an issue with puckering when I was sewing the facing even though I was using a walking foot. Perhaps it had to do with a new interfacing that I was using because I did not have the issue when sewing non-interfaced pieces of fabric together.    

The Stats:  

Fabric:           3.0 metres polyester knit

Interfacing:      1.20 metres fusible knit interfacing 

Fusible Tape:     2.3 metres  

Pattern:          OOP Vogue 7014

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Sewing machine, serger, cutting table, pins, pin cushion, iron, ironing board, measuring tape, braces, scissors, thread clippers, seam ripper, prescribed mini-breaks, and Chai tea latte.

Happy Sewing!  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Stash busting: Cotton Knit Tee / Closet Core Ebony

  This is the third version of Closet Core's Ebony t-shirt pattern and it's my favourite one.  There were small subtle changes to t...