Monday 16 May 2016

Monday's Mending Pile

I'm one of those people who would rather make something new than sit down and fix something, yup mending doesn't always fill my creative spirit. This is contrasted by my despair over our very disposable society and the state of cheap fashion fashion filling up the RTW landscape before ending up in the landfill. I feel like I've created my own landfill of mending items waiting for the mundane to be attended to.  


I do mend, in part, because I'm frugal. I'm not ashamed to admit it. That happens when one works in an industry where you're laid off three times a year and you're never completely sure if your contract is going to be renewed. Most recently, runs in my tights and holes in my socks were fixed with hopes of extending their life. I'm not ashamed of that little fact, I would actually be ashamed if I were to discard these items because of these wee temporary flaws. I would still mend these items even if my employment situation wasn't so precarious.   


According to an Environmental Protection Agency report in 2011, thirteen million tons of discarded clothes are filling up landfills. I'm sure that things haven't improved over the last five years. 

I was cleaning up my sewing space and going through the scraps and chopped up RTW sweaters that I have collected over the years. I need to get busy and start piecing them together and make more blankets.   

Happy Sewing!  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Cotton Summer Dress: Butterick 6784

Ever since I made this version of Butterick 6784 last summer, I was smitten over this kAtheRine Tilton design with its Lagenlook vibe.  I ...