Friday 4 December 2015

Ho, Ho, Ho! One More to Go...

Stash-busting 2015:  It's Another Wrap

Don't worry, all of these Christmas gifts that I have been making and posting have been delivered or the peeps that are receiving them know they were in the works. 


So here is the latest one...


The Pattern:


I broke out McCall's 2485 one more time to make the cape (and yes, I made it in the same fabric as the first). This pattern is straight forward and should be an easy-peasy make but that roll hem proved to be a challenge once again with the issues I've been having with my hand and wrist.

It is one pattern piece and I will mention that it is a very large pattern piece. My cutting table wasn't long enough to cut it as one. And this is a pattern that you want to make certain you have 60" (150 cm) width fabric to work with as it is quite wide as well. If I could find anything to complain about, I'll be stretching here (this really is a great pattern), it would be that the corners are cut at 90º angles that I found would work better if they were cut on the diagonal to prevent an overage of bulk. In the process of making this, the Jean-a-ma-jig® proved to be a life-saver. As in the first one I made, I struggled with the rolled hem around the neckline curve even though I serged all the edges.   



The Fabric:

This 100% wool fabric has been in my stash for a few years. I picked up the rest of the bolt just because it was a good great deal and it's a 100% wool. I do believe that I found this at Northwest Fabrics. And can you believe I still have enough to make a skirt and maybe even a suit. But I digress...

This fabric likes to fray, so I found that I had to work carefully and quickly. The edges were serged straight away and the neckline curve was handled with extra care as to not try to straighten as I serged. Other than that, I adore this fabric.

I used the thread that I had on hand, 100% polyester, since I'm a budget. If I weren't, I would have splurged and picked up some silk thread for the rolled hem.

I did pre-treat the fabric on the delicate setting on the washing machine and laid it out to dry. It came out beautifully.


The Stats:

Fabric:     2.1 metres 100% wool

Pattern:    OOP McCall's 2485

Thread:    100% polyester thread used in the sewing machine and serger.  

Additional tools and supplies:  Sewing machine, serger, cutting table, pins, scissors, and Jean-a-ma-jig®.

Happy Sewing!



No comments:

Post a Comment

March in Review

Happy Easter! Photo from the 2024 Easter Parade in NYC { Photo Credit :  Joanna Moriello, New York Daily News} This is a scene outside St. P...