Saturday, 18 April 2015

Gym Gear

Stash busting 2015:  Shorts

Fabric:    1 metre @ $9.04 ($16.00/metre - 50% + taxes)

Ribbon:   1.2 metres @ $1.08 ($1.60/metre - 50% + taxes)

Elastic:    1 metre, gift from Mama R's stash

Pattern:    McCall's 4312 (to be completely honest I can't recall how much I paid for this pattern)

This pattern has been in my stash for twelve years, uncut and neglected. I've been searching for a pattern that I could use for making gym gear but how I missed this one for this long is beyond me. Thankfully, this uncut pattern is a multi-sized pattern and included my current size. Out-of-print McCall's 4312 is from the Sewing with Nancy line by Nancy Zieman, circa 2003.  


Let's talk about the instructions for a minute. Oh-my-goodness! What a treasure throve of information. I really like the inserted boxes of sewing tips scattered throughout the instructions. I wish all patterns were made like this one. That said, this would be a great pattern for a beginner or someone like me who lost their sewing mojo. This project certainly lifted my spirits in the sewing room.  

Even though I am singing the praises of this pattern, I did change the waistband design. 


I not all that smitten about the below belly-button look with the ribbed waistband and was looking more for work-out wear instead of leisurewear. Comparing this pattern to the pants pattern in Butterick 6185, I decided to raise the waistline four and three-quarter inches. I cut these in a size L at the side seams and leg length and a medium in the crotch length. After I took in a bit at the centre back seam near the waistline, I like how the new waist fits. I think next time I'll add a couple of inches to the leg length for a longer pair of shorts that will hit the scars on my knees.   


For the waistband, I stitched a length of elastic to the wrong side and then turned it over to stitch in place. But first I added two small buttonholes just off the centre front seam.  


The twill tape has tape measure design on it representing the inches that I hope to drop with these shorts. I will admit that I didn't finish the hem except for serging and leaving it. 


The fabric has been in my stash since last year when I stumbled across it in the discounted section. It is a 20% polyester and 80% cotton blend that shrunk a crazy amount when I pre-washed it, both in the width and length. I thought there might be enough for pants and a jacket when I first picked up this fabric but now I'm not so sure. Another pair of shorts for sure!

How does it compare?

RTW Ladies gym shorts.

Retail price:  $44.95 (AU) on sale for $34.95

My version:  $10.12

Happy Sewing!  




2 comments:

  1. They look very nice! Love the waistband treatment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They're going through at test-run at the gym later this morning.

      Delete

In Sewing News Today...

Does it seem odd that it's late July and Vogue Patterns hasn't yet released any fall patterns? Carlos has posted some videos from t...