Thursday, 12 March 2015

Let's Just Maximize This Hemline...

Stash busting 2015:  Pullover Dress

Fabric:             3 metres 100% polyester @ $20.34 ($6.00/metre)

Pattern:           Butterick 6169 @ $8.27 ($3.99 during online sale + taxes and shipping costs)

Sewn on:        Janome 4120 QDC using a regular stitch and presser foot.    

Seam finish:    Serged on Janome MyLock 234D.  

Have I mentioned how over I am over the hi-low hemline trend? I was all smitten over this dress design except for the hemline. I picked it up with the thoughts of lowering the front hemline to fix the design to my liking.   

I made a few changes to the design. I lowered the highest point at the front hemline by seven inches and evened the hemline out all around ending up with a maxi length dress. I gave the dress a little more ease in the hip area which the envelope description describes as "semi-fitted through hips" since that tends to be my most generous body part. I also left off the yoke lining.  

I am thrilled with how it turned out. Can I just say how comfortable this dress is--seriously comfortable! My favourite feature would have to be the soft gathering at the yoke and those front pockets at the princess seam. I love a garment with pockets!    

I made this dress in a polyester fabric that has been in my stash for quite some time now. It is nice to finally stash bust this one. I'm already planning another version of this dress in a knit. I can see this being my go-to summer dress.  

Happy Sewing!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

McCall's 7630: Pullover Top

It's an easy sewing project for a loose-fitting pullover top. It's my second go with this pattern and I still want to make another ...