Tuesday 24 July 2012

Reality Check

This week over at Sew Weekly the theme is Reality Check:  Something Missing from Your Wardrobe.

I didn't have to think too hard about this one. A pair of well fitting pant is missing from my wardrobe. Big time.

[Enter fear.]

I haven't made a pair of pants since sometime in the 1980s. I remember the pattern clearly, it was a Claude Montana design.

I know it is a odd choice for someone who stands five-foot-one. I going to blame this foolish fashion decision on my inexperienced youth.

And pleats! What was I thinking? We all have fashion skeletons in the closet from the eighties, don't we?

The reality check theme is perfect. My wardrobe is seriously lacking well-fitted pants. And I'm no longer in denial about my lack of ability to wear pleated pants that narrow at the hem. Boot or wide leg pants all the way, right?

Sew, this is my challenge this week. I'm going to try to make a well fitted pair of pants for my frame petite, curvy in all the wrong places frame.

But first, I'm off to do some research for tips in Fantastic Fit for Every Body and revisit Tasia's blog post on sewing pants (she posted some great links).

And then I have to decide on which pant pattern I want to work with, Burda 7366 or Vogue 1309. The Burda pattern received a glowing review for it's fit over at Pattern Review. But then the Vogue pattern is tempting because it is described as "loose-fitting through hips", a problem area that I have to address in my list of fitting issues.  

Wish me luck as I set out to conquer my greatest sewing fear.

And Happy Sewing!

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow - do you have a photo of you wearing those fabulous pants?
    Good luck on your new venture, can't wait to see the outcome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I don't believe I have a photographic evidence of me wearing pleated pants. I made them in a brown suiting fabric I do remember.

      Delete
  2. Oh man, that is one project I fear utterly and completely, and want to tackle this winter. You should check out some of Steph's recent posts from 3 Hours Past. She's got some great posts dealing with things like crotch curves and various fiddly bits of pants sewing. And she also offers pants block fitting if you're desperate! Good luck on your challenge! You have my admiration. :D

    ReplyDelete

Stash busting: Cotton Knit Tee / Closet Core Ebony

  This is the third version of Closet Core's Ebony t-shirt pattern and it's my favourite one.  There were small subtle changes to t...