Thursday 26 April 2012

In Sewing News Today...

Did you catch the February/March 2012 issue of Vogue Patterns magazine?  They had an article on a "new" fabric, cork. It was an interesting article since cork hasn't really been on the scene for decades and all the sudden it is the new thing. The article included some fabulous photographs and included instructions for a wallet that could be made out of the fabric.
$159 at The Bay

There has been a bit of chatter about cork fabric on Pattern Review. It seems the price has kept many from sewing with the latest crowned "it" fabric.

I can't say I blame them, at $79 for a 20" x 54" sheet I'm on that side of the fence.

Besides, at that price and this economy I had my suspicion that it might be a fad fabric since no manufacturers were pumping out cork wallets and handbags.

And then check out the shoes I stumbled across at the store this afternoon. They are made from cork! Maybe it is not a fad fabric. It would be interesting to see where this fabric pops up next.

On to dresses...

The voting closed today at the Pattern Review Vintage Contest. My dress received eleven votes. Woohoo! Thank you to those that voted for my dress. I'm sew not worthy.

There were so many amazing entries in this contest. There is this beautiful blouse with neckline tucks that I thought was absolutely lovely. And check out the pockets on this skirt and this one too. And check out this cotton and silk afternoon dress, the fabric is beautiful and her sewing is flawless! I can go on and on in admiration of all the entries, I hope you'll check them out if you have the time.

I just have to agree with Karen's comment in her review, "[g]ood designs are timeless." Sew true!

Me-Made May '12 is around the corner. Can you believe it?

I've been prepping and pressing some of my spring/summer makes that have been in storage over the winter. I think I'm set, but I will tell you that I'm going to miss some of my RTW items in my closet. What was I thinking?

I believe I have nine skirts, eight tops, seven dresses, one coat dress and one jacket that qualify as "Me-made" items.  

One thing it did make me realize is that I haven't sewn a pair of pants in ages, decades actually. Hmm, even though I am more comfortable in dresses and skirts that might be a future challenge to consider, make a pair of well-fitting pants.      

Anyway, that's all in sewing news today.

Happy Sewing!








1 comment:

  1. Hmm...don't think i'll be buying some cork anytime soon at that price :)

    ReplyDelete

Stash busting: Wool cardigan / OOP Kwik Sew 4192

Back in September, I made a simple pull-on  wool knit skirt with the intention of sewing a matching pullover top  to go with it.  The pullo...