Sunday 15 April 2012

In sewing news today...

Not much sewing since I finished the vintage dress, but there was shopping. I'll get to that later.

Did you hear about Saskatchewan Stitches Conference? I stopped in at Fabricland yesterday and they had posters up at the store entrance. It looks like fun but there is no way that I can take time off work. Why are there no conferences when I'm laid-off during the summer for two months?

There are some interesting workshops being offered at the conference. Beverly Johnson from Hamilton, Ontario will be offering various Bra, Corset and Swimsuit workshops.

Ron Collins from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan is a designer and "Canada's best-known sewing personality" (okay, my bad, but I've never heard of the guy). He is hosting The Ultimate Sewing Retreat that looks like fun.

Jan Bones from Winnipeg, Manitoba, a teacher and contributor to various sewing magazines, will be teaching a variety of workshops, Fitting Facts (I so could use some pointers in this area), The Nice Nightie and Dress Form.

There are many other workshops covering areas of knitting, crocheting and rug-making. I've only touched on a few of them that had me sighing over the fact that I'll be missing. Will you be going?

OMG! You'll never guess what someone entered for the Vintage Contest over at Pattern Review. Did you give up? 


Someone entered one of the first commercial patterns that I sewed back in the seventies. I couldn't believe it when I saw it. Okay, now I feel slightly old. I made it back when I has taking a high school home economics class. I loved the pattern for the same reasons that she did, and I totally agree with her review.  


Oh the pattern, Simplicity 7927, back in the day I thought it was the cat's meow because of the hood. This gal needs to win just for making me smile and besides she did a great job.  



Summer will soon be here. This morning I woke up and noticed that the apricot tree has pink blooms on its branches. I love it when this tree blooms, it is so pretty. It has me thinking about what summer clothes still fit and what needs to be refashioned or repaired. And while doing that I've been considering this Me-Made-May '12 pledge that I made. I really need to make a couple of tee-shirts or tops before the end of the month if I'm going to pull this off. I have Butterick 5679 in cue and the fabric has been picked out and ready to go.

And I did pick up two new patterns. First, this Burda Style top pattern, Burda 7220. I like the neckline drape in version B and the off-centred pleat in the back.

I'm not sure when I'll get to it, since I'm in the need of tops this might become a May sewing project.

McCall's dress pattern, McCall's 6554, I couldn't resist this one. I know it is not a top but I like the square neckline and empire waist. I think it will be a cute summer dress. I have a yellow and blue floral print cotton fabric in mind for this.  I hope there is enough fabric for the full skirt.

This Me-Made-May '12 might be the kick-in-the-pants that I need to add those tops to my wardrobe. The dress will have to wait.

With all these grand plans, the next project in cue to be laid out and cut is the graduation dress for my niece. Yes, I'm finally getting to it! I think I can manage a big cutting job now, I'm going to give it a try anyhow. If I've miss calculated my recovery I have an appointment with the chiropractor and massage therapist coming up this week. I'll take it slow and it might take a few days to get it done, we'll see. I'm worried about the slippery-ness factor of the fabric so I'm going to lay it out on the floor to cut.

That said, I should get busy.

Happy Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stash busting: Wool cardigan / OOP Kwik Sew 4192

Back in September, I made a simple pull-on  wool knit skirt with the intention of sewing a matching pullover top  to go with it.  The pullo...