Friday, 23 March 2012

What's next?

Right now what is on my sewing table is the beautiful green fabric that my niece picked out for her grad dress. I haven't been able to cut it out yet, I'm ready, the ribs say no. So sew I've been thinking about what will be next and the sewing challenges that I would like need to do during my second year of sewing and blogging.

Make that darn winter coat.

I've chicken out on this project. I have the fabric and the pattern picked out but for some reason I'm a little scared to tackle this one.  Is my twenty year old Janome up for this challenge? Am I up for the challenge?

My procrastination on this project is fuelled by my fear. Luckily it was a mild winter this year because the muslin that I cut out last summer is still sitting in my sewing drawer. I just have to get over my fear and on with it!

Make handkerchiefs.

I'm all for bringing back the hankie and switching to handkerchiefs has been on my to-do list for some time.

First, it is a small step towards environmental kindness. Think of all the trees that will be saved when I start using my hankies! Never mind the water that is wasted in the production of tissue and the environmental costs for transporting this product.


Secondly, oh the fun I can have making these. I can do a little rolled hem, paint fun designs on them, trim them with lace or mini ric-rac!

I have a metre of white 100% cotton fabric and quite the collection of trim. All that is left to do is start cutting out squares and decide on how to decorate it.

Thirdly, I always thought that hankies were tres chic. I don't know how they ever went out of style?



Shop from my fabric stash


Okay, here is a tough one. Of course, I say this before I score some of that raw silk sitting at Fabricland at 50% off. Oh, this might take some will power.

My biggest challenge this year is to stay away from fabric stores and only use the fabric I find around the house and in my stash. It shouldn't be a tough one, I have quite the fabric stash. But somehow I think this one might be a tough one.

Happy Sewing!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck at keeping away from the fabric stores - super strong will-power needed on that one!!! I do well until I see what some other lucky blogger has scooped up, and then out the door I race...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I think I am going to need all the luck I can get on the fabric challenge.

    ReplyDelete

In Sewing News Today...

Does it seem odd that it's late July and Vogue Patterns hasn't yet released any fall patterns? Carlos has posted some videos from t...