Saturday, 3 December 2016

Oooo, Silk!

Before I get started on the coat, I have one project to show 'n tell. Mama R's latest top is made in silk. I actually finished this last month but didn't have a chance to take photos and blog about it until now.


The top is another version using out-of-print (OOP) Butterick 5561.


Not a whole lot to say about the construction. There was the usual adjustment to the hem and shortening of the sleeves. I thought that the latest adjustment to the raglan sleeves was enough to raise and tighten the neckline so Mama R didn't feel exposed but she managed to mention that this one also sits too low. I give up!

I will say that this lovely silk fabric is lighter than the other fabrics that I used on the previous versions so that may contribute to the feeling that the neckline sits low.


I recently found this fabric at Northwest / Marshall's Fabrics in the bridal section. Even though it is a silk fabric I threw caution to the wind and pre-treated it with a tumble through the washing machine and dryer on the delicate cycle. I finished with a light pressing on the silk setting. No issues to report on the pre-treatment of this fabric.


The Stats:  

Fabric:  1.8 metres

Fusible Interfacing:  0.4 metres

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Sewing machine, serger, thread clippers, thread for the serger, sewing machine and hand-stitching, hand needle, new sewing machine needle, cutting table, pins, iron, ironing board, tailor's ham, sleeve ham, some radio listening, wrist brace, chocolates, and coffee.

Happy Sewing!

💋

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy National Sewing Machine Day!

Oh yes, the sewing machine.  Our much loved tool we use in our creative lives.  But did you know that this machine hasn't always bro...