Friday 22 July 2016

Holy Pin Cushion Batman!

I think I'm getting too old foolish to be on my hands and knees cutting out pattern pieces on the floor because oh-my-goodness am I ever hurting.  

 
The Issey Miyake dress pattern, OOP Vogue 2427 has several large pattern pieces that are cut from single layers of fabric. And the pattern pieces and fabric were too big to cut from my cutting table. What was a gal to do? It is like Bob Dylan said, 
Behind every beautiful thing, there's been some kind of pain.
And this pattern is a beautiful thing. (Although, I don't think Bob Dylan was talking about sewing.)


It is all cut out now and the sewing machine and serger have been threaded. I even have the buttons ready to go. But I think I'm going to take the rest of the evening to mend.  

Tips for Pain Free Fabric Cutting

  1. Get someone else to do your cutting.  
  2. If that is not possible, get up and move around often. Know your limits and don't spend too much time in one position.  
  3. While you're up and moving throw in a couple of stretches.  
  4. Ice and heat. And followed by ice.  
  5. Rest.  

Of course, I'm sharing these "words of wisdom" after I neglected tips 1 to 3 and learned my lesson. What can I say, I was excited to get started on this project. Step 4 is working, now I'm onto step 5 before I start back on this project. Tomorrow.    

Until then, happy sewing stretching!  


2 comments:

  1. I know the feeling! I sometimes strip our double bed and cut out on the mattress to save my back a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, what a great idea! I wish I read this yesterday, it is brilliant. I feel better this morning, the ice, heat, then ice really worked. Maybe I might get started on sewing this later today. The weather is calling for rain today, perfect day for some sewing.

      Delete

Stash busting: Wool cardigan / OOP Kwik Sew 4192

Back in September, I made a simple pull-on  wool knit skirt with the intention of sewing a matching pullover top  to go with it.  The pullo...