Tuesday 19 July 2016

Can I Tell You a Secret?


{Source}

I love sewing knits. Seriously, I'm not joking. Yes, there was once-upon-a-time when I feared tackling a knit project, wondering how I'm going to finish those hems and raw edges. 

Vogue 9101 Serged skirt hem has been
left unfinished. Hand-stitched sleeve hems. 
And goodness knows, I've had my fair share of sewing bloopers with knits along the way. 

Back in the beginning, wobbly hems. 
I've picked up a few tips since this lime green made-for-the-donate-pile knit top. I stitched that wobbly hem with a regular foot and knit stitch. I know a walking foot and ball point needle is often recommended for sewing knits but my favourite trick I picked up has to be this little roll of magic.


Knit-N-Staple™tape. Have you ever used this product? If you haven't, I would really suggest giving this a try. I first picked this up after working on this wrap dress where I used twill tape at the shoulders and I wasn't 100% happy with the bulky feel. The next wrap dress, I used Knit-N-Stable tape. It was a technique called for while making this Katherine Tilton top. Even though I don't believe I will be revisiting Vogue 8710, I can say I'm really happy that Katherine Tilton's instructions lead me to discover this project.  


This product is what I use to finish those raw edges that call for a narrow hem.


And would you believe this smooth finish was achieved with the knit stitch and regular foot that came with my machine. What a difference it made from that lime green top from back-in-the-day. Crazy! Now you know my secret behind my knit sewing love affair. Give it a try. 

Now, maybe I should go back and finish that hem on the pink dress?   

Happy Sewing!  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Stash busting: Pullover Skirt / OOP Butterick 5790

Do I need another pull-on maxi skirt?  Not really, this project is all about stash busting this small piece of cotton knit fabric with a tri...