Sunday 20 April 2014

In Sewing News Today...

Happy Easter!


I love Easter. It is a day that you get all dressed-up, head to church and then you're reminded of all the CEO's (Christmas and Easter only) folks that snag all the parking spots and seats. I drove around trying to find a spot to park and then a place to sit. I keep forgetting this is an annual occurrence. I like to instead think of Easter (besides the obvious reason for celebrating Easter) as a dress-up-in-spring-colours-after-a-long-winter occasion.  


This morning did not start off as planned when I got all dress up in my Sybil Connolly dress and then proceeded to wipe out on the hard-wood floor, crash into a table and spill the cup of tea that I was holding. Luckily, the splash marks that remained on my dress where hardly noticeable since I didn't have time to change. The dress is now in the laundry room. Despite the hardly noticeable splash marks, I received a lot of compliments on my new Easter dress.     


It's was quiet Easter here. An afternoon nap and then a late lunch before I unpacked the loot I picked up a Northwest fabrics yesterday. I was in search of silk charmuese which I was unable to find but I came home with some lovely alternatives. Now that I have figured out how to get to Northwest Fabrics (sign of spring in Winnipeg is all the construction and road closure signs), I'm never shopping at Fabricland again.

Do you want to see what I found?  


I picked up this cotton stretch fabric for a dress for Mama R but she doesn't like the colour. 

"It's too red," she claims. This is coming from the woman who asked me to make her a dress out of this fabric


One of my favourite colours is orange, (in case you haven't figured that out by now, see Easter dress above). So, how could I resist this linen print? The plan is to find some lining fabric and whip up another wrap dress.    


And oh my goodness, I had to pick up this 100% wool fabric. I wish you could touch it, it is gorgeous. The plan is to make a suit out of this fabric. Or maybe a coat? We'll see.  

There was also some black cotton to make a skirt and a lovely shade of blue cotton knit to make a tee-shirt.  

I did manage to fit in a wee bit of sewing today. I'm working on a white cotton shirt with french cuffs. I hope to finish it up tomorrow if I can find a bit more time.    


Well, that is all in sewing news today. I hope you had a wonderful Easter. 

And Happy Sewing!  




6 comments:

  1. I was at Marshall's on Thursday. I am so glad I didn't let myself out of the quilting cottons- I'd have bought waaaay too much. Your choices are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even find what I went there for!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful fabrics! Glad you're ok from taking a spill too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yeah, that spill. What can I say, I'm a bit of a klutz.

      Delete
  3. I hope this new fabric store has better customer service;) Also, I love those fabrics, especially that linen -- gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The customer service was wonderful. And I had a fun time shopping there.

      Delete

Stash busting: Cotton Knit Tee / Closet Core Ebony

  This is the third version of Closet Core's Ebony t-shirt pattern and it's my favourite one.  There were small subtle changes to t...