Thursday 24 April 2014

Fashion Revolution Day


Today, I'm showing my outfit inside out to show that sewing is an ethical and sustainable alternative to fast-fashion and mass consumerism. It is the sewist's version of Fashion Revolution events being held today.  

Refashioned skirt and Vogue 1306 Top
My top is a me-made item and the skirt used to be a pair of pants that I made into a skirt after reading Erica B's article in Vogue magazine. The skirt still has a label. The pants (the original item) were purchased at a local shop called Candies and Dolls that carries lines from many local designers. The pants were made here in Canada.



A rare find, considering how much ready-to-wear clothing is made overseas where they are out of reach of labour laws that we have here.

I have to admit, I feel a bit like a fraud.  

I have so much more to do and research to truly feel that my own sewing is an ethical and sustainable alternative to fast-fashion. I have to admit that I do not know the origins of my own fabric stash other than the fabric store that they were purchased. Most fabric labels (if there is one) contain fibre content and yardage information. Rarely can you find country of origin information.  

I do have some fair trade cotton knit in my fabric stash.  I feel good about this and to be completely honest it wasn't any more expensive from the other knits on the fabric store shelves. And the quality is wonderful.  

As a consumer, I realize that I have to ask questions of the shop owners and let it be known that I care about social justice issues surrounding the ethical sources of the materials I use and purchase. I just can't stand here and snap a picture because I feel that there is more work to do. This is about the journey, not a destination.

But this moment, this snapshot is a way to pause and think of all those who died and were injured a year ago at Rana Plaza. They died sewing fast-fashion in horrid conditions that still exist today in many parts of the world. Today is a day of remembrance, awareness and the journey to make the world a better place.

It always seems impossible until it's done. 
~Nelson Mandela

Well, I have to run to work (clothes are only inside out for the photo). It is also Pay It Forward Day here.

Off to do random unselfish acts of kindness and think about what this day means on so many levels.



2 comments:

  1. I agree, it is a very far reaching problem that it feels so hard to know where to start. I feel that every little bit helps though. Thanks for joining the revolution! I hope we can encourage great change!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although, I didn't wear my clothing inside out at work I did talk about the significance of the day with some of my co-workers. They didn't realize that it was Fashion Revolution Day. The conversation was started here on our blogs and with others. And CBC Radio did a wonderful interview and piece on Fashion Revolution Day too. Here is one CBC audio from Edmonton's show http://www.cbc.ca/player/Radio/Local+Shows/Alberta/ID/2451761189/

      That's a good start. Awareness leads to change.

      Delete

Stash busting: Cotton Knit Tee / Closet Core Ebony

  This is the third version of Closet Core's Ebony t-shirt pattern and it's my favourite one.  There were small subtle changes to t...