by Amelia Greenhall and Amy Bornman
ISBN: 978-1-4197-6202-4
Published by Abrams, 2023
Canadian price $50.00
208 pages.
This is a book that I spotted in the book store and its the quilted jacket on the front that actually caught my interest. In my sewing dreams, I would like to sew a quilted jacket. In reality, I couldn't bring myself to cut a quilt. But I digress.
The hefty price tag for simple patterns lead me to the library to check out the book further. I was surprised to find this is more than simple patterns.
This is a wonderful book for encouraging one to start sewing regardless of their sewing knowledge and skill. Absolutely believe this to be a treasure for those starting out on a sewing journey and wanting to build up their confidence along the way. Greenhall and Bornman offer practical advice for sourcing materials and making the basic patterns into your own style.
The patterns included in the back of the book are simple, boxy shaped clothes making them forgiving in terms of fitting issues. I did enjoy reading the well thought out advice and options provided in the book. This book and along with the patterns are geared to the beginner. No pants pattern found in the offerings but there is a section that suggests some pants styles to attempt on your own. There are lots of photographs and illustrations to help encourage creativity. I wouldn't add it to my personal sewing library just because I have enough books on this hobby. But I wouldn't discourage anyone from picking it up and checking it out.
Stand strong, elbows up, support local and keep sewing.

No comments:
Post a Comment