Tuesday 28 November 2023

Stash busting: OOP Butterick 5891

Once upon a time, there was enough of this Japanese cotton printed fabric to cut all the pattern pieces found in out-of-print (OOP) Butterick 5891.  Then Covid happened and this 100% cotton fabric ended up on the cutting table to make face masks and scrub caps during the pandemic.  


The denim collar is just because I was short of this Japanese cotton to cut out the collar piece.  Oops.  And sometimes a sewing oops works out just fine.  There is a pair of pants cuts out of the denim used here so it might just end up looking like an intentional design feature.  But I digress.  

These fabrics were in the stash for years.  Which year I can't recall but it was many years before the pandemic.  The printed Japanese cotton was a discounted Fabricland find.  The denim I'm pretty certain originated from Fanny Fabrics which closed down in 2005.  The fabrics were pre-treated with a tumble in the washing machine and dryer before hitting the ironing board for a steam pressing.  

The pattern, OOP Butterick 5891, is a favourite and an absolute treasure.  I've made a few versions of view D and it is a very comfortable top to wear.  Best part of this design would be the side pockets which I did raise an inch.  That is the only alteration / change made to the pattern.  


Project details

Seams:  2.8 straight stitch

Seam finish:  Serged

Fabric:  3 metres (narrow width)

Interfacing:  0.7 metres 

Buttons:  3 -- 7/8" recycled buttons


Pattern
:  OOP Butterick 5891

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Cutting table, fabric scissors, pins, pin cushions, tailor's chalk, threads, Janome sewing machine, buttonhole foot, walking foot, thread clippers, Brother serger, tweezers, cutting board, buttonhole cutter, hand sewing needle, screwdriver, clapper (used as a hammer), iron and ironing board.  

Happy Sewing!  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Me Made May 2024

  This year for Me Made May, I pledge to mend, care and wear my me-made items and the items that no longer fit into my life I will refashion...