Thursday 8 June 2023

Sew What You Need June: Pullover Cotton Top / McCall's 7630

 

This is my latest top made with McCall's 7630.  About five years ago I made a couple using this pattern.  This time I made a few changes to fit my current physique.  There is added ease achieved by pinning the center at the top of the front and back pattern pieces and fanning out from the hemline.  There was also four inches added to the length (view B).  The hems are top-stitched with a one inch hem.  That's about it.  

The fabric was a one metre length so there was some creative pattern placement to make it work.  Luckily, it didn't interfere with the grainline placement of the pattern pieces.  I found this 100% cotton in the home décor department at the local Fabricland store a few years ago.  It was pre-treated with a tumble through the washing machine and dryer before hitting the ironing board for a steam press.  


Update

The next morning the top ended up back on the sewing worktable for a patch pocket addition.  Thankfully, there was enough scraps to cut a pocket and facing piece.  This will be perfect for holding my keys.  


Project Details

Seams:  2.6 straight stitch

Seam finish:  Serged

Fabric:  1 metre

Interfacing:  0.4 metre

Pattern:  McCall's 7630

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Cutting table, spring-hinge fabric scissors, measuring tape, pins, pin cushion, pencil, Janome sewing machine, walking foot, Janome serger, threads, thread clippers, iron, ironing board, heating pad and a few breaks.  

Happy Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cotton Summer Dress: Butterick 6784

Ever since I made this version of Butterick 6784 last summer, I was smitten over this kAtheRine Tilton design with its Lagenlook vibe.  I ...