The perfect project happened to be a little wee dress, size 2, and matching sunhat. The sunhat still has to be stitched up, maybe this weekend. Even though there is not much of the summer left, I do hope that it will have a chance to be worn. Little ones do tend to grow out of things quicker than you can sew them.
This is the third time I've sewn the dress from this out-of-print (OOP) pattern, circa 1996. The first time was over twenty years ago. I stumbled across another uncut copy of the pattern a few years ago and this spring I revisited the dress pattern. It's a great pattern and if you can find a copy, I do recommend picking it up.
I did stray from the well-written pattern instructions just a bit. There wasn't enough fabric to cut the binding for the sleeve if I wanted to cut out the hat pattern as well. And there was no matching seam binding in my stash. Top that off with the crazy pandemic-blamed mark ups on sewing notions, I went on a scavenger hunt for an alternative. That is when I came across a left-over piece of this ribbon which just happened to be enough for the job.
As it turned out, it happens to be my favourite detail on the dress. Although, that Peter Pan collar is pretty cute too. Using the back bodice pattern piece as a guide, I cut out a back neck facing. Otherwise there were no other changes to the design.
Seams: 2.6 straight stitch
Seam Finish: Serged
Fabric: 2 metres (narrow width)
Ribbon: 0.5 metres
Buttons: 8 recycled
Pattern: OOP McCall's 8548
Additional Tools and Supplies: Cutting table, pins, pin cushions, tailor's chalk, measuring tape, measuring gauge, scissors, sewing machine, buttonhole foot, threads, serger, seam ripper, buttonhole cutter, cutting board, clapper (I couldn't find my small hammer), hand sewing needle, iron, ironing board, thread clippers and many breaks to nurse a sore back these past few days.
Stay Safe and Happy Sewing!