Saturday 7 August 2021

Is it Faux or Authentic Ankara Fabric: OOP Vogue 9217

I love the bright joyful colours found in Ankara print fabrics.  I especially love that the colours are saturated on both sides.  And then throw in the colour orange into the mix and I'm over-the-moon smitten. 
 
"Orange is the happiest colour."
~Frank Sinatra  


To be completely honest I'm not sure if this is a faux or authentic Ankara Fabric.  The colour and pattern is saturated on both sides. It could be authentic. But according to a post at African Fashion Law, an authentic Ankara print fabric would "indicate the type of fabric / product and registration number on the selvage."  There is no such markings on the selvage.  So, it could very well be a faux Ankara fabric.  

All I know for certain is that when wet it doesn't lose it's dye and that the bolt of fabric stated that it's a 100% cotton.  I found this fabric at Northwest / Marshall Fabrics, a place that is notorious for not having the most detailed fabric labels.  I just couldn't resist the vibrant colours and the fact that it was on sale at 50% off.  

My plan, as you can tell from the above photo, is to make a sleepwear set after spotting other similar pajama sets online.  


So far, I've managed to sew up the pajama bottoms.  Sewing only happens in short little spurts around here lately.  I'll take whatever free time I can get at the sewing machine now-a-days. But I digress... 

I don't know what to say about this project that I haven't already said before with previous projects.  Even though this design isn't advertised as a pajama set, it is comfortable enough for the job.  Really, these pajama pants are all about the fabric.  


I was working with a cotton that was thinner than the previous fabrics I used for pajama bottoms.  And considering that I recently had to mend the interior waistband of my flannel bottoms, I thought to interface the waistband.  I used a non-fusible interfacing for this job. The fabric was pretreated with a tumble in the washing machine and dryer followed by a steam pressing.  \

Now, just to get to work on the matching pajama top.  


Project Details

Seams:  2.2 to 2.8 straight stitching

Seam Finish:  Serged

Fabric:  2.5 metres

Elastic:  0.8 metres - 1"

Pattern:  OOP Vogue 9217

Additional Tools and Supplies:  Cutting table, scissors, pins, pin cushion, measuring tape, measuring gauge, tweezers, iron, ironing board, safety pins, sewing machine, serger, threads, hand sewing needle, thimble and many breaks.  

Stay Safe and Happy Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cotton Summer Dress: Butterick 6784

Ever since I made this version of Butterick 6784 last summer, I was smitten over this kAtheRine Tilton design with its Lagenlook vibe.  I ...