Sunday 22 November 2020

Reusable Coffee Filter

So simple and so kind to the environment. I'm actually shaking my head as to why I didn't think of this sewing project earlier.

I jump on this as a sewing project when I spotted a version on the Java Works website. I knew I could make my own with supplies in the stash.  And of course, I had to brew a pot of coffee to test it out. 

Here's to saving the planet one pot of coffee at a time.  


Project Details

Seams:  2.2 length

Seam Finish:  Serged

Tips:  If you know a coffee lover who makes their java in a drip pot, this might make a sweet stocking stuffer.  

Fabric:  0.2 metres (unbleached cotton)

Pattern:  A disposable coffee filter

Additional Tools and Supplies:  Cutting table, scissors, tailor's chalk, ruler, sewing machine, serger, threads and coffee.  

Stay Safe and Happy Sewing!

4 comments:

  1. Interesting! I've seen reusable filters, but only the metal screen type. One question - wouldn't using it seams side out make it easier to empty out? Or don't the coffee grounds get caught up in the serging threads?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where I pour the coffee grounds, there is no serging threads. The serging is on the outside, sandwiched in between the interior of the basket. I only took a picture of both sides for visual purposes.

      Delete
    2. The inside is actually the outside - got it! Most (all?) of my sewing results in seams toward whatever will be contained, so it was automatic to think that the seams would face the coffee grounds. Now, how to get DH to think it's not too much fiddling about to empty this instead of dumping filter and all....

      Delete

Cotton Summer Dress: Butterick 6784

Ever since I made this version of Butterick 6784 last summer, I was smitten over this kAtheRine Tilton design with its Lagenlook vibe.  I ...