Sunday 1 November 2020

What Does Code Red Mean?

It means that I need to dust off the sewing machine, get busy and sew more face masks.  Our part of the country is going into more Covid-19 restrictions as we've been leading the country in Covid cases per capita.  Our city with a population of 816 593 has more cases today than our nation's largest city (Toronto's population is 6 196 731).  And that was the push towards the sewing machine this weekend.  


Mind you, I did end up spending more time with the seam ripper and at the ironing board with the iron in hand than I did at the sewing machine.  So it is kind of amazing that I managed to get this done over the course of the weekend.  

I continued with the Aplat Mask (origami design) but tweaked it just a bit.  The first one I had made it with a cord elastic that wasn't all that comfortable.  So with a seam ripper in hand, I removed the top-stitching and elastic to replace it with a twill ribbon and a cord stopper.  

I know that I can easily tie them in the back but these are easier to secure in place.  And with winter dressing, easy seems to be the way to go.  I just need to find some more of these little gadgets as I'm sure I'll be sewing more of this style.  


Project Details

Seams:  2.4 straight seams

Seam Finish:  None 

Tips:  Sewing with a wider stitch length would have made those moments of seam ripping easier.  

Fabric:  0.96 metres

Ribbon:  4.0 metres twill tape

Cord Stoppers:  5

Pattern:  Alpat Mask (Free PDF)

Additional Tools and Supplies:  Cutting table, tailor's chalk, measuring tape, measuring gauge, pins, pin cushion, sewing machine, zipper foot, regular presser foot, iron, ironing board, seam ripper, and coffee.  

Stay Safe & Happy Sewing!  

1 comment:

  1. I really feel for you. Our cases here in Saskatchewan, while not as high as yours are still moving upwards. I am so glad that I made lots of masks awhile back and have a couple of boxes of disposable ones to use as well.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Cotton Summer Dress: Butterick 6784

Ever since I made this version of Butterick 6784 last summer, I was smitten over this kAtheRine Tilton design with its Lagenlook vibe.  I ...