Saturday 22 February 2020

The Quest for the Perfect White Shirt Pattern: Vogue 1678

I'm on a quest for "the perfect white shirt" pattern. And the next stop in my search is with Vogue 1678 from the Spring 2020 pattern release.


Design wise this pattern checks off a few items from my wish list, asymmetrical design, long sleeves and cuffs, loose-fitting enough to hide my weight gain (at least until I lose some weight). Missing from my wish list are pockets and a menswear style sleeve placket.


In reality, it hit all of my wish items, this pattern is as close to perfect as it can get. I can live without pockets on a shirt and even though there are not the traditional menswear style sleeve placket, I like the finish on this one. I absolutely adore the design. This pattern is a keeper.


There were a few changes after the first fitting. I opened up the side slits three and a half inches to accommodate the need for extra ease in the backside.  And I had to adjust the button placement for again for the need for extra ease. Easy fixes. I did shorten the sleeves about one inch before cutting (my usual adjustment) but I could have easily doubled that adjustment. I might shorten the hem next time around. I used the couture method (also known as the burrito method) for sewing the yoke instead of the method illustrated in the instructions.

I didn't want to use up anymore white fabric from the stash until I found "the one" pattern that would be worthy of the honour. The fabric that I did use for this project is a medium weight cotton with some stretch from Mitchell Fabrics found lingering in the stash. It has an uneven grid and dot pattern and was pretreated with a tumble through the washer and dryer cycles followed by a steam pressing.

These four hole buttons were a recent find at Northwest Fabrics. They don't often carry buttons and I couldn't be more pleased with how perfect they turned out to be for this fabric.

I'm defiantly going to revisit this pattern. Maybe in a white linen.


The Stats

Fabric:  2.2 metres

Interfacing:  0.7 metres

Buttons:  10 - 1/2" buttons

PatternVogue 1678

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Cutting table, pins, scissors, pin cushions, tailor's chalk, measuring tape, rulers, measuring gauge, clapper, sleeve ham, tailor's ham, sewing machine, buttonhole foot, serger, threads, tweezers, thread clippers, tailor's wax, hand sewing needle, thimble, buttonhole cutter, hammer, cutting board and some good tunes.  

Happy Sewing!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Cotton Summer Dress: Butterick 6784

Ever since I made this version of Butterick 6784 last summer, I was smitten over this kAtheRine Tilton design with its Lagenlook vibe.  I ...