Tuesday 11 February 2020

Mix & Matching Pattern Pieces: Butterick 6026 and Vogue 1503

A few years ago, I made up Butterick 6026 with much delight over those pin tucks. I made a second version and even though both are worn often during the warmer months, they don't see much action in the winter months.  I need long sleeves in the winter as I often wear shirts under sweaters. It gets cold in this part of the world during the winter months. Dividing your time between the chill of the outdoors and the warmth of the indoors, dressing in layers is key to surviving the winter months.  


And that is when I started to think about my favourite sleeve pattern from Vogue 1503.  If it could work with out-of-print (OOP) McCall's 7546 to make a shirtdress perhaps it can work with another pattern. Even though there is a slight difference on the curve on the sleeve cap it was evident that this could work with the Butterick pattern as well.


So here is my shirt created with design elements from two of my favourite pattern designers, Katherine Tilton and Rachel Comey. I eliminated the back darts, collar and switched the sleeve patterns pieces. The sleeve length and shoulder width above the notches was shortened and the hemline was straightened.  I kept my favourite design feature, the narrow pin tucks.


The pin tucks were marked with a clip from the seam edge and chalk marking at the end points.


I used these markings to turn over and press a crease line before taking it over to the sewing machine to stitch in place.


I used the blind hem foot for sewing the pin tucks and adjusted the needle position to the right. Easy peasy!

The sleeve was sewn into the armhole flat rather than fitted. There was no need for easing the sleeve curve after trimming the bodice pieces.

The fabric is a cotton and linen blend that I found at Northwest Fabrics / Marshall's many moons ago. There is actually enough of this fabric left over to whip up another shirt if the mood strikes. It was pre-treated with a tumble though the wash cycle and dryer, followed by a steam pressing. It handled the pretreatment process well.

The buttons are recycled from Mama R's button stash.  Feeling under the weather, I didn't have the energy to drag out the cutting board and buttonhole cutter to open the buttonholes so I went old school and used thread clippers.


The Stats

Fabric:  2 metres

Interfacing:  0.30 metres

Buttons:  11 - 3/8" recycled

PatternsButterick 6026 and Vogue 1503

Additional Supplies & Tools:  Cutting table, scissors, tailor's chalk, pins, pin cushions, iron, ironing board, ruler, measuring tape, measuring gauge, thread clippers, sewing machine, blind hem foot, buttonhole foot, serger, tweezers, screwdrivers, new serger needle, sleeve ham, tailor's ham, clapper, cough syrup, meds, and many breaks.

Happy Sewing!


3 comments:

March in Review

Happy Easter! Photo from the 2024 Easter Parade in NYC { Photo Credit :  Joanna Moriello, New York Daily News} This is a scene outside St. P...