Sunday, 24 May 2015

Colour-Block Linen Dress

Stash-busting 2015:  Vogue 9107

Fabric:    2.8 metres of 100% linen $53.63 ($16.95/metre + taxes)

Zipper:    55 cm invisible zipper $4.41 ($3.90 + taxes)

Pattern:   Vogue 9107 $7.34 ($5.99 on sale + exchange rate + taxes + shipping)

This pattern and fabric have not been in my stash for very long. The pattern I picked up during last month's online sale (finally arrived a week and a half ago) and the fabric I couldn't resist when I recently stumbled across this over at Mitchell Fabrics. These are the quickest stash-busted items my sewing table has seen.   


I was concerned with the shape and fit of the armhole and shoulder after reading a couple of reviews over on Pattern Review. And especially after the disappointing armhole and shoulder episode I have with the last pattern I sewed. Are dropped armholes and big shoulders a thing this season? If they are, I missed that memo! But there was no need to worry, I didn't find any fitting issues to complain about mainly because I put sleeves on my version.  If I were to make another sleeveless version I would just tweak the shape of the lower front armhole opening just a smidge.

The sleeve is perfectly drafted. My goodness, I love how easy it was to fit these sleeves. It is a two piece sleeve pattern that has a underarm seam and another seam extending from the shoulder seam. The fit is perfect. The only change that I made to the sleeve was to change it from a long to a three-quarter length sleeve.



I would highly recommend this pattern in a heart beat. I love it! It has a fitted bodice and diagonal seaming which I am quite smitten over. The only change that I made to the pattern was to lengthen the hem an inch and a half and cut the sleeves as three-quarter length sleeves.

I will mention that the pattern pieces for the lower portion of this dress are huge! It is the only part of the pattern that I did not enjoy.


Working on the floor in order not to let the single layer of fabric hang and risk a less than perfect cut was the process my knees were not too happy about. And it did take me more than a moment to figure out where and how I should lengthen the skirt hem. Thankfully, everything worked out.

I did stray from the recommended fabric suggestions listed on the pattern envelope (silk crepe, silk-like broadcloth, heavy georgette or matte jersey) and went with a 100% linen. It worked out just fine. In matter of fact, I'm over-the-moon thrilled with my new dress.  

How does this compare?

Lafayette 148 New York Solange Colour Block Linen dress  
CDN:  $755.54

My linen dress:  $65.38

1 comment:

  1. Just beautiful!! You did a wonderful job, and I would much rather your price than the Lafayette version.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

The Eva Dress by Tessuti

This is my first project using Tessuti patterns and I'm even more impressed with how it turned out than I was when the patterns arrived...