Friday 4 May 2012

Butterick 5679

Close, but not perfect.  

This is Butterick 5679, Misses' top.  The pattern envelope description reads, 
Slightly fitted through bust stitched hem.  A, B: Self-faced collar.  C: Loose-fitting, shaped front panel with pocket, raw edge finish.  
There are some things that I love about it and then there are some issues.

Where to begin?

Oh yea, the neckline. What the heck is going on here!  

I sewed this top using my knit stitch on my Janome but it wasn't falling flat. What a mess. Over at Pattern Review others related issues with the neckline too.

One of the suggestions someone made that worked for them was taking in the seams at the neckline 3/8" and using stabilizer tape around the neckline.

I'm thinking maybe a shoulder dart too could help.

Yes, I am thinking about making another one.

I won't agree with the description that View C is a loose-fitting top.  I wasn't disappointed with the fit, but I wouldn't call it loose-fitting.

The length is perfect for me. I know, isn't that crazy? When was the last time I made something that I was pleased with the length. Yea, never!

Not so crazy about the raw edges.  I did sew a hem on the upper edge of the pocket. The lower edge of the top I used my serger and left it. On the next one I will tweak the pattern panel and pocket pieces to have a hem finish.

Talking about the pattern's panel and pocket feature, love it.  It is the reason I want to give this pattern another whirl.


2 comments:

  1. The seams on this dress look really interesting. I hope you can resolve the neckline issue, because otherwise this looks like a really cool top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was able to steam it and it ended up settling down a bit but I will for sure use some of the tips on Pattern Review from others for the next one.

      Delete

Stash busting: Cotton Knit Tee / Closet Core Ebony

  This is the third version of Closet Core's Ebony t-shirt pattern and it's my favourite one.  There were small subtle changes to t...