Thursday 23 March 2017

The Starry Night Dress

I made a couple of turtleneck dresses using Vogue 8939 over the years. Sometimes when you find a good pattern it's just worth revisiting. And since I was in the mood for an easy project this pattern fit the bill. Minus the hem which I finished up this morning, I was able to cut and sew this up last night.


It feels great to be back in the workspace and sewing clothes again. It was a great feeling. Yes, I do have that coat in queue but I wasn't feeling it last night.

Vincent Van Gogh's The Starry Night, circa 1889.  

Instead, I was drawn to the knit fabric I used in this project because the colours and pattern reminded me of Vincent Van Gogh's Starry Night painting. It is a polyester sweater knit with a soft hand from Fabricland.  

The pattern is currently out-of-print (OOP) yet it is still available on the Vogue pattern website. It's a Vogue Wardrobe pattern that also comes with a vest, jacket, skirt and pants pattern although the dress pattern is the only piece I've tried. It is only four pattern pieces and easy peasy to put together. I didn't quite follow the instructions. Instead of set-in sleeves I sewed the shoulder seam followed by the armhole seam and then stitched closed the side and sleeve at the same time. Then I tackled the collar piece. The hems and shoulder seams were interfaced with Knit-N-Stitch™fusible tape. I lengthened the dress by ten inches (one inch hem) to create a maxi length and shortened the sleeves.     


The Stats:

Fabric:  3.0 metres 100% polyester knit

Fusible Tape:  2 metres

Pattern:  OOP Vogue 8939

Additional Tools and Supplies:  Sewing machine, serger, tweezers, screwdriver, walking foot, scissors, thread clippers, threads (for the sewing machine and 4-spool serger), cutting table, pins, iron, ironing board and coffee.  

Happy Sewing!  



2 comments:

  1. Very pretty. If I find a pattern I like it is used until it falls apart (or gets taped together).

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jackie. I agree, I'm the same way. There are 6 versions of Vogue 1325's raised waistband pants in my closet.

      Delete

Stash busting: Wool cardigan / OOP Kwik Sew 4192

Back in September, I made a simple pull-on  wool knit skirt with the intention of sewing a matching pullover top  to go with it.  The pullo...