Thursday, 23 March 2017

The Starry Night Dress

I made a couple of turtleneck dresses using Vogue 8939 over the years. Sometimes when you find a good pattern it's just worth revisiting. And since I was in the mood for an easy project this pattern fit the bill. Minus the hem which I finished up this morning, I was able to cut and sew this up last night.


It feels great to be back in the workspace and sewing clothes again. It was a great feeling. Yes, I do have that coat in queue but I wasn't feeling it last night.

Vincent Van Gogh's The Starry Night, circa 1889.  

Instead, I was drawn to the knit fabric I used in this project because the colours and pattern reminded me of Vincent Van Gogh's Starry Night painting. It is a polyester sweater knit with a soft hand from Fabricland.  

The pattern is currently out-of-print (OOP) yet it is still available on the Vogue pattern website. It's a Vogue Wardrobe pattern that also comes with a vest, jacket, skirt and pants pattern although the dress pattern is the only piece I've tried. It is only four pattern pieces and easy peasy to put together. I didn't quite follow the instructions. Instead of set-in sleeves I sewed the shoulder seam followed by the armhole seam and then stitched closed the side and sleeve at the same time. Then I tackled the collar piece. The hems and shoulder seams were interfaced with Knit-N-Stitch™fusible tape. I lengthened the dress by ten inches (one inch hem) to create a maxi length and shortened the sleeves.     


The Stats:

Fabric:  3.0 metres 100% polyester knit

Fusible Tape:  2 metres

Pattern:  OOP Vogue 8939

Additional Tools and Supplies:  Sewing machine, serger, tweezers, screwdriver, walking foot, scissors, thread clippers, threads (for the sewing machine and 4-spool serger), cutting table, pins, iron, ironing board and coffee.  

Happy Sewing!  



2 comments:

  1. Very pretty. If I find a pattern I like it is used until it falls apart (or gets taped together).

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jackie. I agree, I'm the same way. There are 6 versions of Vogue 1325's raised waistband pants in my closet.

      Delete

In Sewing News Today...

Does it seem odd that it's late July and Vogue Patterns hasn't yet released any fall patterns? Carlos has posted some videos from t...