This is Mama R's tried and true (TNT) pattern. Whenever she asks for a new dress, this is the pattern that she requests. Personally, I would be bored if I had a closet full of the same design but she loves it and who am I to judge. Besides, the style does look good on her.
The design changes for the dress remain the same as the last million (actually, I've lost count) versions of this dress:
- remove the the centre front seam by cutting on the the fold
- insert a centre back zipper
- grade the raglan sleeve seams down to a size 10, raising the neckline in the front.
- lengthen the sleeves
- shorten the hemline
- add front pockets.
This is the first time I made the jacket. The back pleat was removed along with the button and loop closure as per Mama R's request. I cut a straight size 14 and the fit around the shoulders, neckline and body of the jacket were perfect. Of course, I had to shorten the length of the jacket by 3 1/2 inches and the length on the sleeve by one and three-eighths.
The fabric is from my stash. It is a cotton stretch sateen fabric that I picked up at Fabricland this past spring. My plan was to make a jumpsuit (Vogue 9075) until Mama R spotted it. I had three metres when Mama R expressed an interest in it, leading to a search for more. By that time, there was only one metre left on the bolt and I picked that up as well. Together, I had enough fabric to make the dress and jacket.
Interfacing: 1.4 metres fusible interfacing @ $4.75 ($6.00/metre - 50% off + taxes)
Basting Tape: 1.12 metres @ $0.98/metre = $0.00 (birthday gift)
Thread: 100% cotton thread @ $2.29 ($4.05 - 50% off + taxes)
Zipper: 22 inch invisible zipper @ $2.20 ($3.90 - 50% off + taxes)
Pattern: Simplicity 2372 (already priced out many moons ago)
Sewn on: Janome 4120 QDC using straight stitch for construction and top-stitching.
Hand-stitching: Slip sttich (blind stitch) strategically stitched along facing and basting the side seams for fitting. Hems were all hand-stitched.
Seam finish: Serged on Janome MyLock 234D