Sunday, 27 October 2013

The Tim Gunn Project: The Classic White Shirt

Stash Busting 2013:  Project #35


Fabric Used:              2.3 metres

Pattern Used:            Burda Style 7136

Buttons Used:           8  

*****
I lost my sewing mojo at the start of this project but I finally managed to get it done. Finally. It took almost two months to get it off the sewing table.

I know, I'm in shock myself that it took that long to complete. But I digress...

The fabric is from Fabricland and it is listed as a 50% cotton and 50% polyester blend. It frays like crazy! And that makes me wonder if the polyester content might even be higher? Hmmm.

It is a lightweight fabric and it has a nice drape. And its yarns will snag if you're not careful. I'm stash busting a fabric that I picked up this year. Yes, I picked this up specifically for the classic white shirt since I did not have any white fabric in my stash and well, I was suppose to make a classic white shirt.

I would have preferred a white 100% linen (first choice) or 100% cotton but it just was not in the budget for the ones that my heart desired. Sew, I went with the least expensive choice, the cotton/polyester blend.

The pattern is also a 2013 addition to the pattern collection. I picked it up because the blouse has cuff variations including french cuffs. Now you might be wondering how it ended up being a short sleeve shirt. I was working on the placket when I realized that I made a rookie mistake. While shortening the sleeve length I totally neglected the length of the sleeve placket. Well, when I realized that the placket opening would be higher than my elbow I thought it would be best to abandon that idea. Out came the scissors to recreate this as a short sleeve top.

The buttons were also a recent addition to my stash. Can you believe that with all the white and clear buttons in my button tins I could not find eight matching buttons to use on this project.

The buttonholes were super easy with my Janome. I really didn't give much thought to buttonholes until I read Karen's post earlier this week. Karen purchased a new tool for opening buttonholes, the Bernina buttonhole cutter. I was unaware that such a gadget existed. She even mentioned using a seam ripper for opening buttonholes which made me gasp in horror as I recalled one terrifying memory when I destroyed a garment using a seam ripper to open buttonholes.  I've changed my ways since that painful experience.

After admiring what a fine job my Janome buttonhole maker did, I'm ready to open it up.  

First, I fold the button hole in half.  
I then open up the folded buttonhole
and finish clipping the rest.  
I take my clipping scissors and clip a small
hole in the centre of the buttonhole.  






















Do you have a different method or trick of the trade for opening buttonholes?

There you have it, the shirt that took two months to complete. Let's see, what's next?

Happy Sewing!  

2 comments:

  1. Lovely shirt - and I really like this challenge that you are working on . . . . I may have to unashamedly copy you (with your permission, of course!)

    I use an old Singer template attachment on my old Singer Featherweight for my buttonholes (my lovely Pfaff is rubbish at these), and I use a seam ripper to open the buttonholes. I insert the seam ripper at one end of the buttonhole and gently rip open the buttonhole just over halfway, pushing the seam ripper towards the centre of the buttonhole. I then insert the seam ripper at the other end of the buttonhole, and again, gently, push it towards the middle where the first cut finished (I hope that makes sense!) I then trim off any straggly threads, and voila! So far, so good - I have not had any mishaps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're a brave woman using a seam ripper. I was obviously not as careful and that's the real reason that I abandoned the seam ripper for opening my buttonholes. And you're more than welcome to copy away. I actually found the Tim Gunn's sewing challenge logo online. I took a short detour on the Tim Gunn Sewing Challenge this afternoon and made a skirt. But this week I plan to start sewing the day dress, next on my challenge list. I just have to cut out the underlining and then I will be ready to go.

      Delete

Unselfish Sewing: The Panties Edition

I have a whole list of items that I need to sew for Mama R including cotton undies.   I turned to my favourite pattern of 2017, Simp...