Thursday, 28 June 2012

Shirt Dress Sew-along: Update.

The shirtdress is coming along slowly but surely. I have the back bodice of Simplicity 1880 sewn to the back skirt of McCall's 6554. I omitted the centre back seam in the skirt to match the bodice. Tomorrow, I will start piecing together the bodice front before sewing and attaching it to the skirt front. Once that is done things should move along at a faster pace.

Have you noticed that I'm not a good follower? Sunni has her skirt front and back sewn together and hanging on the dress form to let it hang for several days before hemming. I have never done that before. Well actually, I guess I did do that for the dress I made for my niece but it wasn't intentional.

I'm thinking about what I want to do about the interfacing. Lately, I'm turned off from using fusible interfacing. Long story that I won't get into now but hand-stitching some non-fusible will be in the plans.

Another pattern that falls in the category of shirtdress has crossed my sewing table, Style 2739, circa 1970. Mama R made this outfit for me many moons ago.

It was in Mama R's pattern stash. She dug it out the other evening. I can't believe she held onto it all these years. We had a great chuckle over it and some others that she dug up.

Anyway, that is the update on all things shirtdress.

Happy Sewing!

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the fusible- I'm using a silky with a slight stretch and that always goes 'phloowy' with fusible for me. I'm about to swear off of it!
    All I've done is the skirt and have it hanging- it's hard to follow along!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! Now that I have time on my hands a interfacing post may be in the near future. One more family event and then it is back to sewing.

    ReplyDelete

The Eva Dress by Tessuti

This is my first project using Tessuti patterns and I'm even more impressed with how it turned out than I was when the patterns arrived...