About seven years ago, I made this robe and for the past year, I haven't worn it. Actually, I didn't wear it often for a couple of reasons. The length was too long and I would trip on it when walking upstairs. So I cut the hem length shorter.
The sleeves are also too long and even though they were meant to be rolled up, I found it too cumbersome to wear that way. I could either donate it or try to fix the sleeves. It has been sitting in the donation pile for months but something was holding me back from letting it go.
I knew this would be an easy alteration if I would get over my fear of removing those hard to see stitches. My fear was damaging the fabric.
I mustered up some courage and a seam ripper and got to work. Sometimes you just have a vision of lounging in an armchair by a fireplace with a good book and a latte wrapped up in an oversized cozy robe. So not my life but I digress. I got to work to make this robe fit into my real life.
There is a small hole from removing the hem on the sleeves, adding one more fix to the mix.
The sleeves once opened had seven inches cut from the length and were stitched back up with an inch and a half hem. The length that was cut off from one of the sleeves were transformed into pockets, something that I did not sew originally on the robe. The other length made two face clothes.
Tools and Supplies: Cutting table, fabric scissors, seam ripper, thread clippers, Janome 4120 QDC sewing machine, walking foot, Janome AirThread 2000D serger, threads and coffee.
Stand strong, elbows up and keep sewing.



No comments:
Post a Comment